Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sweater in (Almost) Real Time

Hello, knitters. Imagine Isaiah Mustafa. I thought he said, "Stash dive!" so I did. I got yarn, pattern, and a long holiday weekend ahead – I'm going to attempt to knit a sweater in one week!

As usual, I'd been dithering about attending Rhinebeck, with the result I hadn't knit a Rhinebeck sweater. The reasons for indecision are the same as always – the press of other obligations, SABLEosity, economic jitters, etc. Then I had an ah-ha! moment: the two are actually independent of each other. If one can knit Couldn't Foot It socks and not attend Sock Summit, surely one can knit a Rhinebeck sweater regardless of whether one is the little piggie who goes to market or the little piggie who stays home.

As before, to reduce the self-referential noise, I'll blog my (hopefully rapid) progress all in this post.



Thursday, October 13
The rebooted Leaflet cardigan is leafless, with yarn from different skeins alternating. I'm liking it just as well that way.

Yoke redux

Wednesday, October 12
Back to square one. Ah well.

Yarn

Tuesday, October 11
Nooooo!!! Dyelot fail! Although they're all the same dyelot, the last two skeins are completely different than the others – darker in color and less variegated. And of course I just noticed that.

Dyelot fail

Seriously bummed at the moment.

Monday, October 10
Right sleeve finished and right on track. Tralala.

Leaflet cardigan in progress

Sunday, October 9
Leaflets three – on to sleeve island.

Leaflet cardigan in progress

The ribbing is knit to pattern, but I'm thinking another row or two might balance the cardigan better. Hm....

Saturday, October 8
Second leaflet done and it's starting to look sweater-ish, even under poor indoor lighting.

Body

I'm modifying the waist shaping to avoid the M. C. Hammer action figure look.

Friday, October 7
Almost finished the yoke at SnB last night – that's one of three leaflets done.

Yoke

I thought about alternating skeins to help prevent pooling, but decided I don't care. Onward!

Thursday, October 6
The selected stash yarn is Malabrigo Merino Worsted, colorway 88 Indigo, salvaged from a frogged vest.

Malabrigo Merino Worsted

The selected pattern is Leaflet by Cecily Glowik MacDonald. Top-down sweaters and I often do not get along, but we'll see.


1 comment:

Tola said...

i was shopping at a LYS in Bethesda, MD and heard the shop owner tell a customer that "oh, dyelot doesnt matter, it's all the same!" i made a hasty retreat and will not be back.